Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Not "Just" A Half

Before I get into the meat of this blog, I wanted a little intro on why I chose this name.  Granted, part of it is the lack of names still available :) but since I was writing about training for a Half Marathon, I thought the title should reflect it.

I follow two Bad Ass Mother Runners: Dimity and Sarah over at Another Mother Runner. I love their books, and love the community that has grow up around their books.  I honestly don't remember where I read it first, but Dimity was talking about working the booths at race expos and asking the women which race they're running.  She often got "I'm just doing the half".  She then went on to explain that it's not "just" a half, it is 13.1 miles and you've trained for months to be able to run just 13.1 miles. 

She's right.  And it's not only applicable to race distances, moms tend to qualify everything. We all need to drop the just and be proud of our accomplishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment